Sometimes I talk to my characters. Here are some questions that you can ask your character to get the conversation going and discover more about him/her:
Questions for your character
- How do you feel about that?
- Why did you do that?
- What interests you about that?
- When did that develop in you?
- Where were you when that developed in you?
- Who influenced the development of that in you?
Consider preparing for and then conducting an interview with your character.
Now, place your character in various scenarios and see how he handles them. You can use the ones I posted here, or invent your own.